Friday, April 4, 2014

Seconds: Tribute to TED Talks



My second installment of TED talks (that happen to be held in Vancouver, BC) features music with a twist. Well, some of you may not call it that, i.e., 'music.' However, it changes about 3/4 into the video where it may sound more like it to you.

Similar to one of the TED talks in my previous posting (March 21st), it features a beatboxer, yet with a completely different style. (I believe he uses a tape loop where his 'music' is recorded so he can transpose on top of it which he does in the video.)

I heard about Shamik, a Vancouver-based beatboxer (making music with his voicebox) and DJ: https://soundcloud.com/shamik through a radio show. "Free Spirit", a piece of his music played at the beginning and end of "Breaking the RULES with Tammra Broughton LIVE on LIVING PROOF RADIO" (April 1, 2014, www.livingproofradio.com or direct at http://podroom.a2zen.fm/podcasts/living-proof-radio/breaking-the-rules-with-tammra-broughton-live-on-l#.Uz5aF6JvCQE

His "Shamik vs M.I.A." - M.I.A.=Missing in Action - an interesting mix of beatboxing and rap similar to "Momentum". Most of his beats and music featured on his website are short pieces (www.shamikmusic.com).

When I first heard beatboxing, I was so mesmerized that I felt like a little kid with a new toy or a bright and shiny object. I might have looked like one too, albeit it didn't matter to me. I was right up close, as close as I could get, with my eyes and mouth wide, in awe, like a child in wonder. How marvelous the human body is and what sounds it can make!

What appeals to you about this genre of music? How can you be in a state of wonder hearing this anew?

No comments:

Post a Comment