Monday, December 1, 2014

AIDS Yesterday, HepC Today


Picture from Wikipedia

This is a very brief posting for now which I may update later due to time and other factors. As some of you may know, today, December 1st is World AIDS Day: http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_AIDS_Day

I remember many years ago when I first heard about AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome) as a medical secretary at The Hospital for Sick Children. Staff - all? - were to attend a news announcement in the hospital's auditorium. I recall vaguely that what was discussed was news of AIDS and cautionary measures that the hospital was to take. I imagine this is possibly when gloves wear worn by all nurses dealing with needles and the like.

I read a newspaper headline briefly today along the line of my title (which I made up). According to Dr. Julio Montaner, director for the B.C. Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS, a world-renowned doctor for his efforts in treating patients with AIDS at St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver, BC, he had closed the AIDS clinic as that was no longer an issue. However, Hepatitis C or Hep C or HCV (Hepatitis C Virus) for short has replaced AIDS in terms of severity - http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_C.

Some people believe the AIDS epidemic originated in Africa or with monkeys. Others believe that it was a way to wipe out a certain sector of the population. These conspiracy theories may or may not be true - though I'm beginning to think the Ebola virus (http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus) might fall into this category too - notice that both AIDS and Ebola started there?

What is your take on AIDS, Hepatitis C, and/or the Ebola virus? Just curious! ;)

12 comments:

  1. AIDS, EBOLA??? my only thought is stay away from it !! :D

    PhenoMenon
    http://wp.me/p2isMr-1wr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conspiracy theories certainly hold our interest but I don't know...I guess these are just diseases, deadly ones at that, which we need to fight together..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, who knows truly. However, best to take precautions as needed. <3

      Delete
  3. I am with Pheno...stay far away from both of them and hope no one I know gets them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, do all that you can to stay away! :) Good write-up, Elly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote a post on Linkedin on Ebola and was shocked at the response. As a health coach I teach people how to build their immune systems and a strong immune system is our defense against any disease. As far as the conspiracy theories, where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious what you wrote about Carol that you were shocked at the response: was it a lack of response or the type of response? For sure, a strong immune system is oh so important! :) <3

      Delete
  6. Deadly disease... stay away. But help those in need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hopefully not contracted in any way, and sure if possible to help those with it if possible. <3

      Delete