Wednesday, February 25, 2015

NaBloPoMo: Make...My Own Recipe?


Clip art image

Today's NaBloPoMo prompt: "Have you ever made up your own recipe? Tell us about it."

Before I do though, just to let you know that I need to keep my posts relatively brief this week; something important that I need to attend to has come up recently.

The quick answer to the question above is that I think I do this all the time; however, I'm not sure it deserves the title of 'recipe.' Let me tell you why.

Have you ever seen the Swedish chef muppet? He speaks Swedish primarily with the odd English word while attempting to cook? Well, I feel like him, some of the time at least.

In the video below, he is making hot sauce of all things! ;)


Muppets - Swedish Chef - Hotsauce by beautifulcynic

You see, I basically throw stuff together like he does, both by his throwing of two large utensils up in the air as well as his use of hot spices and pepper sauce.

How I usually cook is as follows: I first look in the fridge and/or pantry, decide what needs to be eaten based on freshness and expiry date, and then concoct my own recipe. I usually make something familiar as a base for a background such as rice as in stir-fried rice for example.

It's oftentimes no masterpiece, albeit at times I do surprise myself. More often that not though, it tastes good, sometimes just okay. And occasionally I confess, it tastes horrid.

If anyone was to ask for a recipe for my creative dish, I probably couldn't tell you in terms of amounts of things. Thus, not sure if the word "recipe" qualifies here.

Truly, I would rather someone cook for me!

Do you make your own recipes and/or do you follow those in a cookbook?

12 comments:

  1. Oh I follow my own recipe most of the time..No cook book for me...Some days it turns out fine while on others let's just say I somehow manage :D

    The Dummies' Guide to The Great Cricket Holiday Destinations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like me! You do the same more or less than me than, right? ;) <3

      Delete
  2. I usually go by the book and then mix it up with my own brand of spices. So guess it is a blend of both for me :) I love the muppets :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good combo to me in terms of cooking! :) Yes, aren't the muppets great? ;) <3

      Delete
  3. I am not very experimentive in kitchen, though rice pulao is the only dish where I add ingredients based on availability or whatever takes my fancy at that moment! My son dreads my pulao experiments :D
    Husband is simply outstanding in making his own recipes. He can create magic with food! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky to have your husband cook magic! ;) I wish I had the same! ;) <3

      Delete
  4. Like Shailaja, I also go through two or three versions of a recipe, mix it up and call it my own :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a very creative blend and I hope it is just as tasty! ;) <3

      Delete
  5. I have about a handful of basic "ideas" that I follow, and then I throw whatever we've got that fits that idea in the dish. Meat pie could be any kind of meat with whatever frozen veggies we have in the freezer, combined with a top of mashed potatoes or pie crust. I've tried bread and rice two. those are generally last resorts. Sometimes the sauce that unifies it is broth based. Sometimes it's left over spaghetti sauce. Other times it is cheese. Lots of different things can be made with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems a bit of what I do throwing things together....and sounds like you have fun doing it. Well, I hope you do anyway! ;) <3

      Delete
  6. I used to love cooking. Now we have to depend on the servants. I cook very rarely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you aren't able to follow one of your passions on a regular basis Usha, though I am glad you are able to at least once in a while. :) <3

      Delete